The Friends of Evanston Farmers Markets is an organization whose efforts go beyond the tarmac and grass of the weekly markets.
Evanston Markets educates the public about the benefits of eating fresh, locally grown foods, and advocates greater access to healthy food for all community members, regardless of means.
To accomplish its goals, the market seeks matching funds to help LINK participants’ food dollar go further; offer cooking demonstrations featuring local chefs at the Downtown market; as well as partnering with other organizations to offer fun and educational experiences for children of all ages.
The market’s website and emails help to keep the public informed of food, farming, and environmental news, as well as upcoming market events.
Evanston Farmers Markets always strives to do more, and you can also help by getting in touch with the market to volunteer.
Evanston key goals from the beginning have been:
- Ending hunger– improve access to farmers’ markets by enabling low-income individuals to purchase healthier food items they may not usually be able to afford.
- Promoting health– improve the way people think and eat healthy through increased access and ease to farmers markets
- Boosting the economy– increase the amount of public benefit dollars earned by local Illinois farmers while promote the economic interest of small businesses.
- Protecting the environment– support vendors who use sustainable agricultural practices.
Friends of Evanston Farmers Markets aims to bring the following to our community:
- Evanston School District-facilitated activities at market advocating healthy eating and building an understanding of sustainable agriculture
- Professional chef programming highlighting localism and how to best enjoy our farmers market products
- Recognized experts to talk with market-goers about topical and current food-related subjects
- The market’s website & blog
- Weekly email newsletter
- Recipes featuring market offerings
- Nutritional information outlining the facts, benefits, and uses of in-season produce
- Sharing of news/editorial articles relevant to our mission
- Raise awareness of our farmers markets and the benefits of healthy eating to community members at local senior housing, food shelters, houses of worship, and community centers
- Publicize our Link Bonus Program to community members most in need of the benefit
- Host a 2015 Film Festival to inform on sustainable agriculture and food insecurity
- Coordinate outreach activities with local community organizations who share missions in line with ours
- Communicate with the Evanston community about the importance of farmers’ markets for health and economy in an Evanston RoundTable editorial