Twiga Chemical Industries Ltd began as African Explosives and Chemical Industries (AECI) EA Ltd on 18th May 1949, when it was incorporated. At the time it was a subsidiary of the Imperial Chemical Industries PLC (ICI), UK. The company specialized in the production of explosives and fertilizers. The company was renamed Twiga Chemical Industries Ltd by a special resolution passed on July 1st, 1962. The AJ Group bought controlling interest from ICI in 1993.
The company has grown immensely since 1949, serving its customers with high-quality products and expertise to find them solutions that meet their needs. This has involved all the divisions of the company. In 2000, The Animal Health Division was introduced, adding it to the Commercial Explosives Division, Crop Protection Division, Pharmaceuticals Division, Industrial Chemicals, and the Toll manufacturing division. Later in 2004, the company discontinued and dissolved the Pharmaceuticals Division.
The company has also substantially invested in its operations. In 2006, the company implemented an ERP system (Oracle E-Business Suite) integrating the entire business operations alongside its manufacturing operation. This has led to increased productivity and better performance of key manufacturing milestones. A modernization drive focused on the Toll Manufacturing operations has seen the construction of a new steel roof, laying of cabroworks roads in the facility, purchase of new powder and liquid filling machines, forklifts, pollution control measures and additional upgrades to the warehousing section. The Toll Manufacturing Center is presently equipped with a state of the art Quality Control Laboratory that holds an ISO/ IEC 17025: 2005 certification, High-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), Gas Chromatography (GC), UV Spectrophotometer and other high-quality devices assuring a high-quality product.